IPP>MOD Issue with best-effort

JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Sat Jul 19 20:14:44 EDT 1997

Bob,

Sometimes I get lost in a sea of words, at which point I drown
before I fully grasp the point.

Regarding "best-effort", are the following statements consistent
with what you and Scott are proposing?

  1)  Conceptually, "best-effort" is the way for a client to tell the
      IPP server to print the document(s) "the best way that it can",
      given the specified job attributes.

  2)  When the client indicates "best-effort", the server is free to
      ignore any attribute it either does not recognize, or is invalid
      in some way.

  3)  When the client indicates "best-effort", the server is free to
      ignore any attribute having a value that is invalid in some way.

  4)  The "best-effort" parameter is used only during job submission;
      that is, it may only appear within a Print-Job, Print-URI,
      Create-Job or Validate-Job operation.

  5)  The "best-effort" parameter is always an optional parameter;
      if absent in the operation, the implied value is "false".

Do these statements accurately sum up the proposal, or is something
missing or incorrect?

	...jay