Roger K Debry rdebry at us.ibm.com
Mon Jul 21 09:33:01 EDT 1997

Perhaps, I wasn't sufficiently clear.  The 'unsupported attributes'
output parameter contains a list of rejected attributes.  The printer
takes attributes with unsupported values and  puts them into the
response with no change.  The printer takes attributes that are not
supported and puts them into the response with their value set to
"unsupported" which in the protocol is an "out-of-band" value that
works for any type. A printer may put all such attributes in the
response, or only some of them.  In other words, a Printer can
accumulate all unsupported attributes before it rejects the job or it
can reject the job immediately after it finds the first bad attribute.

<RKD> The document certainly does not say this! Let me
<RKD> be sure I understand. Lets say that two attributes
<RKD> are sent, one which is supported but its value is
<RKD> not, and one which is unsupported:
<RKD>      o finishing = saddle-stitch (unsupported value)
<RKD>      o number-up = two (unsupported attribute)
<RKD>
<RKD> If I understand correctly, the response would contain
<RKD> the following unsupported attributes:
<RKD>      o finishing = saddle-stitch
<RKD>      o number-up = unsupported
<RKD> Right?
<RKD>
<RKD> I don't agree with it being optional for the printer
<RKD> to return only a partial list of unsupported attributes
<RKD> as you suggest. How does the client know what's wrong
<RKD> if the Printer does not have to send back accurate
<RKD> error information?  If everyone else agrees with
<RKD> this being optional then it should be made clear in
<RKD> the document ... currently I don't believe it makes
<RKD> this clear at all. I read it as saying the entire list
<RKD> is sent back.