Francois Yergeau yergeau at alis.com
Tue Oct 14 18:54:41 EDT 1997

À 12:20 14/10/97 PDT, Ira Mcdonald x10962 a écrit :
>The IPP working group has chosen to base the IPP project (partly)
>on ISO 10175 - DPA (Document Printing Application).  In order for
>"text" strings specified in IPP to be transferred to and from
>strings in DPA implementations (there are a number), it is helpful
>to observe the DPA limitation to ISO 10646 Level 2.

Makes sense.

>Perhaps this was an unfortunate choice in the ISO DPA standard.

Indeed!

>I recently read the MIME media-type registration for UTF-8 and
>it seemed somewhat ambiguous about which level of ISO 10646
>is mandatory.

The charset label (not media-type) registration for UTF-8 does not mandate
transmission of one level or another.  The charset label is only an
announcement mechanism that tells a receiving application how to turn the
received bytes into characters.

As such, there is nothing to stop a given protocol, say IPP, from mandating
that all strings be encoded at level 2.  The "UTF-8" label is then
perfectly adequate -- the receiving end knows how to decode -- and the
(overstated, IMHO) burden of level 3 does not come to bear on that protocol.

The rationale for not having level-specific labels is that it does not seem
to help anybody.  In your case, if the transmitters are restricted to level
2 by the protocol definition, the receiving end gains nothing from a label
that says level 2 -- they already know that.  In general, a receiver that
is prepared to receive level 3 will gain nothing from a level 2 label.  In
the opposite case (level 2 receiver, level 3 label) the only gain is a
slightly earlier warning that the receiver may fail; even that gain may be
illusory, as a level 3 label does not guarantee that level 3 combinations
actually occur -- the level 2 receiver may well succeed if it tries.

There has been ample discussion of this (and the related versioning) issue
on various IETF, ISO and Unicode lists since early 1996, and the consensus
is that this meager gain in one case is to small to bother, especially when
faced with a potential proliferation of labels for all version-level
combinations, and the possibility that it leads to less interoperability in
some cases.

--
François Yergeau <yergeau at alis.com>
Alis Technologies inc., Montréal