Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Oct 24 11:14:56 EDT 1997

I haven't had a chance to analyze the complete new proposal for
multiple-document-handling, but had the following comments on the
comments at the end:

>[Note that in the last case, the internal conflict in the description
>noted above was resolved by removing the apparently un-intented SHALL
>NOT clause.

1. The SHALL NOT was introduced in the Sept 26 version when adding the
entire sentence to the third value to make it like the second value.
I agree that the NOT should be removed in the sentence:
"The Printer SHALL NOT force each document copy to start on a new sheet."
so that the third value has the same sentence as the second value.

>               With this change, the last case becomes the same as the
>first case with respect to ordering and media sheet generation, but
>different with respect to finishing.]

2. I disagreed slightly with the characterization of the three values:

'single-document'
'separate-documents-uncollatted-copies'
'separate-documents-collated-copies'

I believe that the last case becomes the same as the first case with
respect to ordering of pages, but NOT media sheet generation, since the
first case will put the first page of the next document on the back side
of a sheet if an odd number of pages have been produced so far for the job,
while the third case always force the next document or document copy on to
a new sheet.  Perhaps you meant the "ordering of pages and the ordering of
media sheet generation".

>[Note also the this text does not say anything about the placement of
>job-sheets because the prior text also did not say anything
>about the placement of job-sheets.]

3. The September 26 version deleted the sentences about "slip sheets"
from all three values since IPP doesn't have a way for a client to specify
that a slip sheet is to be placed anywhere.

ISO DPA we defined a whole bunch of different
values for the "job-sheet" attribute that controlled whether extra (slip)
sheets were introduced between documents and/or between copies.  We could
register additional values for the "job-sheet" attribute (after V1.0).
Or we could register an IPP attribute that controls slip sheets
(after V1.0), if that is desired.

Here is Steve's entire message for context (with no comments inserted):