IPP> Use of SSL3 Framing

Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Sat Nov 1 03:28:14 EST 1997

As an action item from the Boulder meeting, I am preparing a
proposal document that addresses the order of operations for
negotiating security. This document also discusses, in part,
the use of URLs to designate security. A number of outside
parties involved with security (TLS working group and others)
will be reviewing this short document prior to distribution to
the IPP working gruop at large. This is in order to save the
IPP WG time reviewing and trying to understand something that
is technically inaccurate. Carl Kugler at IBM has also
volunteered to help review and verify a security
negotitation proposal for IPP.

One of the ideas expressed in this document is that the
working group does not have to explicitly mandate the use
of HTTPS for a security scheme.

I will try to have this document out late next week.

Randy