Xavier D. Riley xriley at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Nov 14 14:31:52 EST 1997

I agree with Scott. I don't think we should mandate
what should happen in this situation.  It's not the existing
Web model.

--Xavier

At 06:41 AM 11/13/97 PST, you wrote:

>  The agreement Roger describes sounds good; one minor nit...
>
>RKD> 9) If a client somehow derives a URI and tries to connect and the
>RKD>    service (e.g. Printer-URI) has been turned-off, an appropriate
>RKD>    http error code will be returned.
>
>  Why impose that requirement?  That would mean that a printer without
>  security (for whatever reason) would need to listen on the TLS port
>  and implement enough of the handshake to negotiate no security so
>  that it can send an HTTP error.  Similarly, a secure-only server
>  would need to listen on the unsecured port just to send an HTTP
>  error.  Just let TCP do the right thing - if they've constructed an
>  invalid URI (one with the wrong scheme or port number in it), then
>  it won't work, which is what should happen.  It really isn't the
>  business of the IPP spec to say what will happen on a TCP port on
>  which IPP is not available.
>
>--
>Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence at agranat.com>
>Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/

Xavier Riley
Xerox Corp.
Corp. Research & Tech.           Voice: 310-333-8329 / 8*823-8329
701 S. Aviation Blvd ESAE-231    Fax: 310-333-6618 / 8*823-6618
El Segundo, California 90245     Email: xriley at cp10.es.xerox.com