Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Oct 12 13:41:52 EDT 1998

Based on the discussion so far on Issue 1.10 Case sensitiveness in URLs, I
believe we have reached the following agreements clarifying MOD 6/30/1998
Section 4.1.5 'uri' (attribute syntax):
1. Don't attempt to make any further restrictions from other standards about
the case-sensitivity or case-insensitivity of URLs or URIs.
2. Don't even attempt to paraphrase other standards about the
case-sensitivity or case-insensitivity of URLs or URIs.  Just refer to them
for case-sensitiveness and case-insensitivity.
3. Now that there is finally a URI Draft IETF standard, replace all
references to RFC 1630, RFC 1738 and RFC 1808 with RFC 2396.
ISSUE:  We have not proposed any change to the length restriction of URI
which is 1023 octets, so I have left that sentence in, but clarified that it
refers only to attributes in IPP (so that it won't apply to HTTP headers).
ok?

SPECIFIC PROPOSED CLARIFICATIONS TO JUNE 1998 IPP MODEL DOCUMENT:
I propose to change Section 4.1.5 'uri' from:
	4.1.5 'uri'
	The 'uri' attribute syntax is any valid Uniform Resource Identifier
or URI [RFC1630].  Most often, URIs are simply Uniform Resource Locators or
URLs [RFC1738] [RFC1808].  The maximum length of URIs used within IPP is
1023 octets.  Although most other IPP syntax types allow for only
lower-cased values, this syntax type allows for mixed-case values.  The URI
and URL standards allow for mixed-case values that are case-sensitive.
to:
	4.1.5 'uri'
	The 'uri' attribute syntax is any valid Uniform Resource Identifier
or URI [RFC2396].  Most often, URIs are simply Uniform Resource Locators or
URLs.  The maximum length of URIs used as values of IPP attributes is 1023
octets.  Although most other IPP attribute syntax types allow for only
lower-cased values, this syntax conforms to the case-sensitive and
case-insensitive rules specified in [RFC2396].
Throughout MOD and PRO, replace references to RFC 1630, RFC 1738 and RFC
1808 with just RFC 2396.
In Section 9 References, make the following changes:
	1. remove RFC 1630, since RFC 2396 refers to it as "historical".
	2. also remove RFC 1738 and 1808, since RFC 2396 says the it
replaces RFC 1738 and 1808 (in the Abstract, though the status says
"updates" 1738 and 1808, instead of "supersedes").
	3. finally, add:
		[RFC2396]
			Berners-Lee, T., Fielding, R., Masinter, L.,
"Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax", RFC 2396, August 1998.

Please reply with any comments to the above.

Tom Hastings
(310) 333-6413