Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 12 14:55:13 EDT 1998

>Although most other IPP attribute syntax types allow for only
> lower-cased values, this syntax conforms to the case-sensitive and
> case-insensitive rules specified in [RFC2396].

There are some additional rules for URI comparison in [RFC2068] (beyond those in [RFC2396]) that are relevant here, since we are using HTTP/1.1 as a transport layer:

3.2.3 URI Comparison
   When comparing two URIs to decide if they match or not, a client
   SHOULD use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the entire
   URIs, with these exceptions:
     o  A port that is empty or not given is equivalent to the default
        port for that URI;
     o  Comparisons of host names MUST be case-insensitive;
     o  Comparisons of scheme names MUST be case-insensitive;
     o  An empty abs_path is equivalent to an abs_path of "/".
   Characters other than those in the "reserved" and "unsafe" sets (see
   section 3.2) are equivalent to their ""%" HEX HEX" encodings.
   For example, the following three URIs are equivalent:
         http://abc.com:80/~smith/home.html
         http://ABC.com/%7Esmith/home.html
         http://ABC.com:/%7esmith/home.html

Might want to cite that spec, too.