kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 14 12:58:08 EDT 1999

Tom wrote
>Note 21-24 dealt with the other Xxxx-Current-Job operations:
>
>In fact, following the same line of reasoning and pruning out operations,
>do
>we really need the other two Xxxx-Current-Job operations: Space-Current-Job
>and Cancel-Current-Job?  Perhaps the Xxxx-Current-Job operations were more
>needed for command line interfaces than for more recent GUI interfaces
>which
>would likely be displaying the job queue with job-ids for all jobs or at
>least the current job id.

I don't think the IPP Model is rich enough to support such a GUI display of the
job queue.  In some implementations (e.g., with multiple output devices) it's
hard even to determine the order in which the jobs will print, in order to do
the "number-of-intervening-jobs" or to order jobs properly for the Get-Jobs
Response.  In Copenhagen, the group apparently thought the queue concept is too
fuzzy even to allow Promote-Job!  But I'm not opposed to extending the IPP model
to inclue a Queue class.

     -Carl