kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 15 11:51:30 EDT 1999

 <7mkuj9$slf- at egroups.com> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ipp/?start=6004

> In the OO methodologies I'm familiar with, one strives to get the data
> model to at least Second Normal Form.  It's against the rules to have
> some Printer attributes identified by a (Printer identifier,
> document-format) tuple, while other Printer attributes depend only on
> the Printer identifier.  Failing to correct this leads to the kind of
> problems we see now with document-format.

P.S.  This book (http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?the
isbn=013629023X):
  Object-Oriented Systems Analysis : Modeling The World In Data
  By Shlaer, Sally / Mellor, Stephen J .
  Softcover; 144 Pages
  Published by Prentice Hall
  Date Published: 04/1989
  ISBN: 013629023X

contains an excellent treatment of this topic.  Obviously, it's a
Shlaer/Mellor book, but the techniques descibed apply equally well to
other methodologies such as Rumbaugh OMT or UML.  In fact, the
techniques originate in the database world.

    -Carl