kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 15 12:33:47 EDT 1999

 <918c79ab552bd211a2bd00805f15ce850182df3- at x-crt-es-ms1.cp10.es.xerox.c
om> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ipp/?start=5979

> 14.  ISSUE:  Is IPP intended for printer management. The issue is
still
>   undetermined?

Even though DPA calls Pause-Printer, Resume-Printer, Purge-Jobs,
Shutdown-Printer, Enable-Printer, Disable-Printer, Space-Printer,
Set-Job-Attributes, etc. system admin operations I think in IPP these
operations would most likely be performed by an Operator rather than an
Administrator.  (Set-Printer-Attributes might be an exception.)
Borrowing the definitions from the new draft-ietf-ipp-not-02.txt
document I was just browsing:

2.1 Job Submitting End User

A human end user who submits a print job to an IPP Printer. This person
may or may not be within the same security domain as the Printer. This
person may or may not be geographically near the printer.

2.2 Administrator

A human user who established policy for and configures the print system

2.3 Operator

A human user who carries out the policy established by the Administrator
and controls the day to day running of the print system.

I think part of the problem here is that we're trying to map three
roles into two protocols (IPP and SNMP).  The question is, which side
of the line does the Operator belong on?  Is it appropriate for
Operator operations to flow over IPP?  Of course, your viewpoint on
this question probably depends on what kind of environment you envision
when you think of IPP deployments.  I can think of three different use
cases for IPP with different requirements:

1.  Personal printer:  in this environment, the same person may play
all three roles: Job Submitting End User, Administrator, and Operator.

2.  Shared workgroup printer:  here, the roles of Job Submitting End
User and Operator are less likely to be shared.  Here, it usually would
not  be appropriate for End Users to perform  Pause-Printer,
Resume-Printer, Purge-Jobs, Shutdown-Printer, Enable-Printer,
Disable-Printer, Space-Printer, Set-Job-Attributes, etc.  Here, the
Operator and Administrator roles are more likely be shared by the same
individual(s).

3.  Batch printer (statements, books, etc.):  in this environment, the
roles of Job Submitting End User and Operator are likely to be shared.
Administrator is likely to be separate.

Since the Operator role tends to fall on both sides of the user/manager
line, maybe these operations should be in both IPP and an SNMP MIB.  If
the Operator is a user, then it's appropriate to put Operator functions
into the application protocol.  If the Operator is an Administrator,
it's appropriate to put the Operator functions into a management
protocol.  Doing both would reduce the need for people with multiple
roles to run multiple clients (or multi-protocol clients).

	-Carl