IPP> Re: Notification Requirements document from the IPP WG - <http:// www. ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipp-not-03.txt>

Greg Hudson ghudson at MIT.EDU
Fri Aug 27 12:42:20 EDT 1999

> Any chance that you will revisit the decision not to support MIME?

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding here.

All we have done so far in this group is write a model and
requirements document (both of which are in working group last call).
We haven't even made design decisions yet.  The only requirement we
have about the message format with regard to MIME is:

	7.1.8. The common message format SHOULD be based on
	IETF-standard MIME [RFC 2045].

Because this requirement is a SHOULD, and because it uses the phrase
"based on," it is possible that the standardized protocol will use
some variation of MIME, or won't use it at all.  Or perhaps you'll be
able to choose between MIME and something else depending on how simple
your message is.  Nobody knows yet.  Of course we will revisit the
issue.

> Have you nailed a maximum message size yet?

No; we haven't even discussed it.  I certainly hope there won't be a
maximum message size determined by the protocol, although individual
sites may have their own policies.