Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Aug 27 12:50:24 EDT 1999

FYI,

Carl-Uno

-------

MICROSOFT AND HEWLETT-PACKARD DELIVER INTERNET PRINTING FUNCTIONALITY

RELATED SYMBOLS: (MSFT)(HWP)

  REDMOND,  Wash., Aug 27, 1999 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Microsoft
Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) and Hewlett-Packard Co. today announced they have
delivered on their commitment to support the Internet Printing Protocol
(IPP) in the Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 98 operating system Second Edition
as well as the Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional and Server operating
systems, increasing Internet printing functionality and providing
customers with the ability to send print documents to anyone across the
Internet.

Specifically, the companies are providing a beta version of the
standards- based implementation of the Internet Printing Protocol
natively in the third beta release of Windows 2000 Professional and
Server. In addition, final versions of the Internet printing client,
called Internet Printing Services, are available for Windows 98 Second
Edition, Windows 98 and Windows 95.

"In an increasingly mobile and often virtual work environment, we have
seen the need for innovative technologies to address the changing needs
ofour customers," said Carl Stork, general manager for Hardware
Evangelism and Strategy at Microsoft. "By providing support for IPP in
Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows 2000 Professional and Server,
Microsoft is delivering advanced printing solutions to our business and
consumer customers."

IPP makes sending documents easier than ever. Instead of using a fax
machine, overnight mail or e-mail attachments, a user with an Internet
connection can send a document to any Internet-connected printer. For
example, hotel business centers can now provide business travelers with
the ability to receive materials, such as color presentations or other
urgent materials, at the hotel. In addition, businesses can now connect
their printers to the Internet and enable employees who are traveling
or working remotely to communicate with their headquarters more easily.

"The Internet is driving the evolution of network printing," said Rich
Raimondi, senior vice president and general manager of Hardcopy
Solutions and Services at HP. "IPP is the vehicle that has allowed
companies like HP and Microsoft to deliver these best-in-class
solutions to customers."

Microsoft and HP have championed the development of IPP and have worked
closely with the Printer Working Group (PWG), a consortium of all major
companies involved in printing. IPP 1.0 has been approved as a standard
bythe Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).

Hewlett-Packard was the industry's first vendor to implement an
Internet printing solution based on the Internet Printing Protocol. The
company has extended IPP support across the majority of its
industry-leading JetDirect print server product line. This new
technology promises to introduce a new distribution model, allowing
economical distribution of high-quality hard-copy documents over the
Internet.

Availability A beta version of IPP is available in the third beta
release of Windows 2000 Professional and Server. Customers who wish to
obtain a copy of thethird beta release of Windows 2000 Professional or
Server can do so by joining Microsoft's Corporate Preview Program at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/preview/order.asp . In addition, final
versions of Internet Printing Services are available for Windows 98
Second Edition, Windows 98 and Windows 95. Customers who wish to obtain
Internet Printing Services for Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows 98
can download it from the Windows Update Web site at
http://windowsupdate microsoft.com/ and for Windows 95 at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/.

More information about Hewlett-Packard's Internet printing solution is
available at http://www.hp.com/net_printing/ppss/ipt_info.html .

About HP Hewlett-Packard -- a leading global provider of computing and
imaging solutions and services for business and home -- is focused on
capitalizing on the opportunities of the Internet and the proliferation
of electronicservices.

HP had computer-related revenue of $39.5 billion in its 1998 fiscal
year. HP plans to launch a new company consisting of its
industry-leading test-and-measurement, semiconductor products,
chemical-analysis and medical businesses. These businesses represented
$7.6 billion of HP's total revenue in fiscal 1998. With leading
positions in multiple market segments, this technology-based company
will focus on opportunities such as communications and life sciences.

HP has 123,000 employees worldwide and had total revenue of $47.1
billion in its 1998 fiscal year. Information about HP, its products and
the company's year 2000 program can be found on the World Wide Web at
http://www.hp.com/.

About Microsoft Founded in 1975, Microsoft is the worldwide leader in
software for personal computers. The company offers a wide range of
products and services for business and personal use, each designed with
the mission of making it easier and more enjoyable for people to take
advantage of the full powerof personal computing every day.

NOTE: Microsoft and Windows are either registered trademarks or
trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other
countries. Other product and company names herein may be trademarks of
their respectiveowners.

SOURCE Microsoft Corp.
     (C) 1999 PR Newswire.  All rights reserved.
     http://www.prnewswire.com -0-
     CONTACT:       Rachel Jackson of Waggener Edstrom, 503-443-7000, or
                    rachelj at wagged.com, for Microsoft Corp.; or Mark Miller
of Hewlett-Packard,
                    916-785-1552, or mark_o_miller at hp.com

     WEB PAGE:      http://www.hp.com
                    http://www.microsoft.com

     GEOGRAPHY:     Washington

     INDUSTRY CODE: CPR
                    MLM

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com