IPP> Notification methods

Hugo Parra HPARRA at novell.com
Thu Sep 30 19:14:52 EDT 1999

Hi Henrik,

Thanks for reviewing the HTTP notification proposal.  I considered specifying a raw TCP notification proposal as well.  Taking a closer look at what it would entail writing a specialized HTTP server stack to receive IPP notification, I realized that it wouldn't be much more difficult than writing the same piece on straight TCP.  The difference is that by using HTTP as a foundation we get to use predefined mechanisms for managing the communication channel and leave ourselves room to easily incorporate future enhancement, such as security.

However, if we decide to document a mapping of the Send-Notification operation (Report-IPP-Notification in the initial proposal) onto TCP/UDP, I'm game.  The document that describes the mapping to HTTP would be a one pager (notice that this mapping in my proposal is basically a wash; it's pretty much a reference to the HTTP RFC.)

I'm planning to post a revision of the proposal after I work in some of the discussion we had in Denver and the comments made by Tom H.  I'll try to have it out before the next IPP telephone conference.

Greetings,
-Hugo

>>> <henrik.holst at i-data.com> 09/30/99 04:31AM >>>
I liked the ideas in Hugo's HTTP notification proposal. I have been thinking of
doing a TCP/UDP notification proposal, but I think they may be very similar. So
maybe we should do one common document describing the 'Report-IPP-Notification'
operation and new attributes and then two documents describing the mapping
to HTTP and TCP/UDP.

Henrik Holst