McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Thu Jan 6 19:01:31 EST 2000

Hi Ron,

Thanks for pointing out the typo...oof!

I tried to follow only the IPP/1.1 Model (June 1999),
so I didn't capture the other new 'finishings-supported'.
I could do so in the (obviously needed fixup.

The actual title of the I-D was set by Pete St. Pierre
(Sun) originally about 3 years ago.  I'm open to improving
it (with the approval of Pete and his cohort James Kempf).

The reason some 'printer:' template attributes are OPTIONAL
when they are RECOMMENDED or MANDATORY in IPP/1.1 Model is
that:
1)  OPTIONAL attributes can be given reliable well-known
    defaults by the template specification (and thus by
    the over-the-wire protocol).
2)  Hugo Parra (Novell) eloquently pointed out on numerous
    telecons and in email about a year ago that an outboard
    print manager (aka print server) might not be able to
    determine correct values for some of the MANDATORY
    attributes, so giving them well-known defaults of
    'unknown' was higher fidelity.
(Tom Hastings just called me with the same question).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (consulting architect at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc