IPP> IIG - Administration issues

Wagner,William bwagner at digprod.com
Tue Jan 4 11:08:11 EST 2000

Jay,

Since you ask, it was my understanding and I believe that it is well
established in the IPP model specification that the administrator setup of
attributes is independent of the actual attributes of the physical device.
The administrator may choose to not expose certain capabilities; it may also
mean that the administrator can cause IPP to indicate attributes values that
are not supported by the device, although there seems to be little support
for this. The model spec clearly states that the way in which the
administrator sets attributes is out of scope. However, if there were no
independence, there would me no reason to have administrator set, because in
the general case the actual attributes are available from the device.

William A. Wagner (Bill Wagner)
Director of Technology, DPI Imaging Division
NETsilicon, Inc.
wwagner at digprod.com