IPP> IIG - Administration issues

Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jan 4 13:04:15 EST 2000

Mike, Jay and Bill,

I agree that the logical attributes in an IPP Printer can be somewhat
different then the physical features of the printer. It is up to the IPP
Printer implementation to provide a suitable mapping for anything that the
physical printer can do, and there might be attributes which have no
correspondence in the physical printer, e.g. priority might be handled by
queuing in the IPP Printer, but the physical printer may have no concept of
priority if it can only handle one job at a time. And as already pointed
out, an administrator may disallow use of certain features or values that
the physical printer can do. An example would be a particular IPP Printer
that only allows double sided printing (to save trees), although the
physical printer would support double and single sided. Such an IPP Printer
would obviously also not support transparencies as media!

My general answer to Mike's original questions is that our assumption so far
is that the functionality that you are looking for should be covered by the
emerging Set-Printer-Attributes operation for the administrator to
originally set up or later modify the operations, attributes and values in
the IPP Printer and for an IPP Client to read that information using the
Get-Printer-Attributes operation. This might still leave a slight hole when
it comes to relationships between attributes or values, in which case you
can also use the Verify-Job operation to check if the combination selected
for a particular job is valid before actually submitting the job. It is
expected that the QUALDOCS project will come up with a more comprehensive
proposal for how to verify dependencies between attributes and values.

One last comment, we certainly do not want any company specific version
numbers, that would defeat the whole idea about a standard.

Carl-Uno