McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Tue Jan 4 17:58:42 EST 2000

Hi folks,

About the SLP 'printer:' template -- back in October, Erik Guttman
(chair of IETF SLP WG) graciously held off registering the 'printer:'
template with IANA (when others were registered), so I could update the
February 1999 'printer:' draft for alignment with the June 1999
IPP/1.1 Model spec.  I sent it to the I-D Editor on 21 October 1999.

Erik is *waiting* for the IPP WG to approve this draft.  PLEASE send
comments to the PWG mailing list before next Wednesday's telecon.

At IETF server in directory 'ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/'
and PWG server in directory 'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_SLP':

draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-04.txt
- plaintext in I-D standard style w/ formfeeds

And (when Tom Hastings can overcome some network problems), also
at PWG server in directory 'ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_SLP:

draft-ietf-svrloc-printer-scheme-04.pdf
- Adobe Acrobat PDF of above text file (thanks Tom!!)

The SLP WG has wound down (finished their charter), so it's important
to get this 'printer:' template registered (for use by IPP and other
print protocol implementations).

I still plan to write a document which converts this SLP 'printer:'
template to an equivalent LDAP schema, when I get the time.  See:

'Conversion of LDAP Schemas to and from SLP Templates', 22 October 1999,
draft-ietf-svrloc-template-conversion-05.txt, by James Kempf (Sun), Pete
St. Pierre (Sun), and Ryan Moats (AT&T).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Sharp Labs America)
  High North Inc