Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Mar 9 14:02:27 EST 2000

Here is what IPP/1.0 and IPP/1.1 [ipp-pro] documents up until the March 1,
2000 version have said:

If a value-tag contains an "out-of-band" value, such as "unsupported", the
value-length MUST be 0 and the value empty - the value has no meaning when
the value-tag has an "out-of-band" value.

Here is the new paragraph in the March 1, 2000 [ipp-pro] version:

If a value-tag contains an "out-of-band" value defined in this document,
such as "unsupported", the value-length MUST be 0 and the value empty; the
value has no meaning when the value-tag has one of these "out-of-band"
values.  However, the definitions of additional "out-of-band" values in
future documents are able to explicitly use the value field and have a
value-length that is non-zero, if there is a need for additional information
to be associated with the out-of-band value.  Unless the definition of an
"out-of-band" value explicitly allows for a value, the value-length MUST be
0 and the value empty.

The intent of this March 1, 2000 clarification was to limit the restriction
to existing defined out-of-band values in [ipp-pro], namely, 'unsupported',
'no-value', and 'unknown', and to allow future definitions of NEW
out-of-band values to have a value if the definition needed such a value.
So the three out-of-band values defined so far in [ipp-pro] are defined to
REQUIRE 0 length, but the clarification allows us in the future, if we want
(and if it doesn't break existing clients accepting responses, or existing
servers accepting requests) to define NEW out-of-band values which do use
the length field (such as the 'any-value').  However, if this is going to
break existing clients and existing servers, then we shouldn't define new
out-of-band values with non-zero length.   However, lets be clear,
implementers aren't free to add values to out-of-band values, unless the
definition of that out-of-band value allows a non-zero value field.

We have the following new out-of-band values in IPP extension documents:

    'none', 'not-settable', 'delete-attribute', and 'any-value'

and [ipp-pro] reserves the 'default' out-of-band value for future
definition.  O Of all these values, only the 'any-value' is proposed to have
a non-zero value field (which contains the attribute syntax code that the
'any-value' goes with).  None of the other proposed out-of-band values have
a non-zero length.

If having a non-zero length for 'any-value' is a real compatibility problem
(see questions to Hugo below), then a possibility would be to define
'any-value' with a zero-length and say that the definition of the attribute
indicates what attribute syntax the 'any-value' goes with.  This could be
done by changing the "Job and Printer Set Operations" document only.  The
[ipp-pro] could still leave us the possibility in the future as in the March
1, 2000 text.

Comments?

Hugo,

What does your server code do if it gets an out-of-band value with a
non-zero length?

  a. Reject the request with client-error-bad-request or some such code?
  b. Change the length to 0 and throw away the value data?
  c. return the attribute in the Unsupported Attributes Group?

What does your client code do if it gets an out-of-band value with a
non-zero length?

  a. simply skip over the value field as with any other value
  b. ignore the length, assume that it meant to be 0, and try to interpret
the value field as the next length field (and get terribly confused)?
  c. bother the user with a message about the server returning incorrect
syntax?

NOTE: that the 'any-value' out-of-band value with a non-zero length field is
only defined so far for the new Get-Printer-Supported-Values operation.
Does limiting it to this purpose help with the backwards compatibility
problem?

However, it could be used in any "xxx-supported" attributes to indicate that
validation is not performed on that attribute (something Carl Kugler
mentioned a need for certain servers that just want to store away or forward
jobs without validating them).  When used for this purpose, it might then be
used in a Set-Printer-Attributes operation to configure an "xxx-supported",
so it could go in the client to server direction. But again the
Set-Printer-Attributes is a new operation.  The only problem with existing
client or server code would be a client that did a Get-Printer-Attributes
requesting "xxx-supported" where it might get back the 'any-value'
out-of-band value.  But what would such a client (like yours) do?
Hopefully, not crash.  If the client quietly skips over the value field as
with any other attribute value, then there shouldn't be any problem, even
with this use of 'any-value'.

But in any case, we need to be very careful not to define things that will
break existing implementations, hence this mail thread.

Comments?

Thanks,
Tom

In the IPP 1.1 Protocol document, the paragraph cited
by Hugo goes on to read...

"However, the definitions of additional "out-of-band"
values in future documents are able to explicitly use the value field
and have a value-length that is non-zero, if there is a need for
additional information to be associated with the out-of-band value.
Unless the definition of an "out-of-band" value explicitly allows for a
value, the value-length MUST be 0 and the value empty."

So a 1.1 implemetation must not break, but a 1.0 might.

    Ron Bergman
    Hitachi Koki Imaging Solutions