Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Mar 14 16:31:21 EST 2000

"Hastings, Tom N" wrote:
> So we want to continue these extensions, we will need to clarify
> the Model document to indicate that the restriction on sending
> out-of-band values applies to the out-of-band values defined in this
> document and that future out-of-band values may be defined for use
> in requests.

I think the restriction should apply to the *operations* and not
the values, since the existing out-of-band values may be of use to
other extension operations.

Since all of the current operations in the Model document specify
actual values for each attribute, they would be covered under the
"no out-of-band-values" restriction in requests for the "standard"
operations.

Also, I think we need to explicitly require that IPP servers and
clients be able to handle any value tag, even if it is not
defined in the Model and Protocol documents.  Servers and clients
can throw the unknown values away, but can't error out because
they don't understand a value that conforms to the IPP attribute
encoding scheme.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com