IPP> Re: Root OID for IPP Printer Schema

McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Sat Apr 22 20:52:09 EDT 2000

Hi Jay,

Good question - it turns out there are existing tools
and scenarios where a system administrator on a customer
site will populate LDAP directory objects in an environment
that either: a) doesn't use SLP at all; or b) doesn't have
any coordination/shadowing of SLP registrations to LDAP
directory entries.

As I mentioned in my note to James Kempf, one example is
where an LDAP directory has DMTF CIM printer objects and
there's a desire to augment them with other attributes
that come from the IPP community for printers.

When SLP templates are translated directly to one-to-one
LDAP schemas, they always have some SLP-centric base
attributes that are both useless to the system admin
and generally unknown (if they weren't auto-shadowed
by an SLP Directory Agent).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald, consulting architect at Xerox and Sharp
  High North Inc