Ludovic Poitou ludovic.poitou at france.sun.com
Tue Apr 25 14:03:56 EDT 2000

"Manros, Carl-Uno B" wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> It is politically incorrect. We had objections raised in IET47 on this.

As the "OID manager" for the LDAP branch at Sun, I have difficulties
understanding why all these exchanges on OIDs.

These OIDs were allocated in the Sun branch because there were easy to get, not
to prove Sun's ownership. I do maintain the list of allocated OIDs and there
corresponding schema. These OIDs will never be used for any thing else, and
even if you decide to use some other OIDs, they will be considered as allocated
(and not reusable).
There are and will be some other projects that will have OIDs issued from the
Sun branch. I don't see why it's polically incorrect.

By the way, humans should not deal with OIDs, there are some more friendly
names for the schema elements. Applications should be using the OIDs but they
don't. But they wouldn't care where the OIDs came from.

Regards,

Ludovic.

Carl-Uno Manros

--