IPP> 'any' out-of-band value

kugler at us.ibm.com kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 28 15:51:46 EDT 2000

In today's telecon, nobody liked my proposal for an 'any' out-of-band
value.  I have an alternative solution, using the existing 'unknown' OOB
value.  We could amend the IIG to specify that if the Printer's
"document-format-supported" is 'unknown', this indicates that all
document-formats are acceptable.

This checking, from section 3.2.1.5, Validate the values of the REQUIRED
Operation attributes, would have to be modified:

     document-format (mimeMediaType)

     IF NOT a single non-empty 'mimeMediaType' value, REJECT/RETURN
          'client-error-bad-request'.
     IF the value length is greater than 255 octets, REJECT/RETURN
          'client-error-request-value-too-long'.
     IF NOT in the Printer object's "document-format-supported" attribute,
          REJECT/RETURN 'client-error-document-format-not-supported'
     IF NOT supplied by the client, the IPP object assumes the value of the
          Printer object's "document-format-default" attribute.

to :

     document-format (mimeMediaType)
     IF NOT a single non-empty 'mimeMediaType' value, or 'unknown',
          REJECT/RETURN 'client-error-bad-request'.
     IF the value length is greater than 255 octets, REJECT/RETURN
          'client-error-request-value-too-long'.
     IF NOT in the Printer object's "document-format-supported" attribute,
          REJECT/RETURN 'client-error-document-format-not-supported',
          unless "document-format-supported:" is 'unknown'.
     IF NOT supplied by the client, the IPP object assumes the value of the
          Printer object's "document-format-default" attribute.

Since this proposal only changes implementation guidance, not the spec
itself, I don't think it should break any existing implementations.

     -Carl