Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Sep 21 08:49:46 EDT 2000

"Manros, Carl-Uno B" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I may be stupid, but I have some difficulty to see why you have to
> have a keyword to do these scenarios, it seems to me they can
> equally well be done with a text string...

They don't *require* it, however by using a keyword instead of a
name you are informing the IPP server which type of name is being
used.  IPP doesn't really elaborate on what a user or recipient
name is, and this ambiguity may make interoperability for these
scenarios difficult.

By defining keyword values for the recipient as well as a regular
name value, you clearly differentiate whether the recipient is a
single person or a (potentially anonymous) member of a group.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com