Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Mar 23 08:48:53 EST 2001

"Hastings, Tom N" wrote:

> So Ron and I have agreed to add the Media Type Names to the Media
> Size Name standard, if that was the consensus at the meeting.  We
> need to work on the conformance language some more.

OK, some general comments:

    1. For the media type names, is "continuous" considered to be
       the same as "roll"?  I ask only because roll paper does not
       have the perforations that continuous forms have.

       I suggest adding a "roll" media type or ammending the
       description for "continuous" to include roll type media
       with no perforations.

    2. The current media types don't address variations of particular
       media types; these variations are generally the "finish" of
       the media (glossy, matte, etc.), so I would recommend adding
       standard "media finish" values that can be used to identify
       an exact media type, rather than overloading the current
       media types with additional name-finish varients.

    3. There is presently no way to define the min & max custom
       media size; this is absolutely required for this to work
       in the real world (otherwise how do you know what media
       sizes are valid?), e.g.:

           "custom-size-minimum." short-dim "-" long-dim
           "custom-size-maximum." short-dim "-" long-dim

       This would essentially research the "size-minimum" and
       "size-maximum" names, but allow a device to communicate
       that any size from the minimum to the maximum dimensions
       is supported.  If these sizes are not available then the
       client should only select media sizes from the provided
       list.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com