[printing-driver] RE: IPP> Print Quality Issue resolution

TAYLOR,BOB (HP-Vancouver,ex1) bobt at hp.com
Mon Jul 14 16:36:16 EDT 2003

My main question with TonerSaving/InkSaving/MarkerSaving is how this is any
different than PrintQuality(High|Normal|Draft).  We as well have nifty
algorithms for saving "marker" without impacting quality - but I don't know
why we'd ever want to turn it "off" seperately from the notion of
PQ/performance/economy tradeoff (which I maintain is what PrintQuality
actually is).  The semantics of this as a separate attribute seem somewhat
odd to me - i.e., PrintQuality=High & MarkerSaving=False would seem to say
"print in high quality, and waste toner/ink for no good reason", and
PrintQuality=Draft & MarkerSaving=False would seem to say "print in poor
quality, but waste tone/ink anyway".  IMHO, a "separate" TonerSaving mode is
really a vendor-specific extension of PrintQuality, which as Ira noted as
already supported (though they are supposed to be IANA-registered, which I'm
guessing most vendors have not bothered to do).

thanks,

bt