Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Feb 14 15:46:05 EST 2008

Ira McDonald wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> HOORAY - if you have added any part of PSX spec to CUPS, then we have
> a "prototype", and we can rapidly take it to PWG Last Call and then formal
> vote for PWG Candidate Standard!
>
> We have been delayed waiting for a prototype by one of the BMLinks members
> in Japan (who originally requested this coverage for finishing events).
>
> Please, can you describe what you implemented from PSX?  Did you do it
> in IPP, but not yet in Printer MIB?  Of course, devices need to add support
> in Printer MIB for it to be useful to CUPS.

In CUPS, it is up to the printer drivers or backends to provide the
printer-alert* attributes.  Some use SNMP lookups while others use
in-band printer commands to generate compatible data.  The scheduler
provides the current values in response to Get-Printer-Attributes and
CUPS-Get-Printers requests, and printer-alert* changes also trigger
notifications.

CUPS itself does not respond to SNMP queries and so the only tie we
have to the Printer MIB is when communicating with network printers.
We can't respond to SNMP queries since that will interfere with
existing SNMP services on a system, and in all honesty there is no
clean support for multiple printer queues in the Printer MIB...