[IPP] ISSUE: on Cancel-Jobs: what if some jobs are in cancelable state and some are not?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Oct 8 21:51:08 UTC 2009

I thought Ira and I *had* answered this, but...

On Oct 8, 2009, at 2:42 PM, Tom Hastings wrote:

> I don’t have an answer to this remaining issue for the new Cancel-
> Jobs operation:
>
> ISSUE: OK to say that after checking that all of the jobs are owned
> by the requesting user (unless the requesting user is the operator),
> the Printer MUST return the ‘client-error-not-possible’ for any jobs
> that are not in a state that [RFC 2911] Section 3.3.3 Cancel-Job
> allows to be canceled and MUST indicate which jobs cannot be
> canceled in the “job-ids” operation attribute return in the response.

So if any of the jobs in the job-ids set is owned by another user and
the authenticated user is not an operator or admin, then the status is
client-error-not-authorized.  If any of the jobs is not in the
pending, pending-held, processing, or stopped states then the status
is client-error-not-possible.

> I prefer that the Printer MUST cancel all jobs that are in the
> correct state, but skip over and return the list that aren’t in the
> proper state (as long as all of them belong to the user or the user
> is the Operator/Administrator).  But it is more complicated for the
> Printer and requires the Printer to return the job-ids (1setOf
> integer(1:MAX)) in the response for those jobs that are in the wrong
> state.  It is also somewhat confusing for the client user, since it
> has an error, but some of the jobs are canceled.

Right, so I vote we don't allow partial cancels - we only succeed if
all of the specified jobs can be canceled.

Oh, and there is one more error case - if Cancel-Jobs is sent with "my-
jobs" set to true and there are no jobs that can be canceled for that
user, we need to return client-error-not-found.

believed to be clean.