[IPP] ISSUE: on Cancel-Jobs: what if some jobs are in cancelable state and some are not?

Tom Hastings tom.hastings at verizon.net
Thu Oct 8 23:43:55 UTC 2009

I think we have agreement.  Since the Cancel-Jobs is now all or nothing, the
Printer MUST return an error code if any of the jobs could NOT be canceled,
even if all the rest could be.

So if any are not the user's, then return: client-error-not-authorized
(0x0403)

But if all are the user's, but some are not in a state to be canceled,
return: client-error-not-possible (0x0404)

If the user requests "my-jobs" = 'true', but there are no jobs that can be
canceled, return: client-error-not-found (0x0406)

If the user omits "job-ids" and omits "my-jobs" (or supplies the default
"my-jobs" = 'false'), return: client-error-not-authorized (0x0403).  But
what if the only jobs that are cancelable are the user's?  That could
successfully cancel all jobs as long as they all belonged to the user.  An
implementation could to this easily, by simply checking each job that is
cancelable and as soon as it finds one that doesn't belong to the requesting
user, it stops checking and returns the client-error-not-authorized
(0x0403); if all jobs belong to the user, it cancels all of them and
returns: successful-ok (0x0000), OK?

If the operator requests all jobs be canceled by omitting both "job-ids" and
"my-jobs" (or supplied "my-jobs" = 'false'), and there are no jobs that can
be canceled, then return client-error-not-found (0x0406)

I don't see a good way to indicate which jobs are the offending jobs.
Returning the "job-ids" in the Unsupported attributes group with the values
removed that could have been canceled is about as close as I can get, but
that is for a successfully completed operation which returns the status
code: successful-ok-conflicting-attributes (0x0002).

ISSUE: OK that the Printer doesn't try to return which jobs are the ones
causing the rejection?  Instead, OK just to indicate that the client can do
a Get-Jobs (before or after a Cancel-Jobs request) with a "job-ids" supplied
and get the status and ownership of each of the jobs to help the user?

Tom

  _____