[IPP] JPS2: job-creation-attributes-supported and requesting-user-name attributes

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jan 19 22:57:39 UTC 2011

Ira,

I mainly ask because JPS2 is pretty specific about what keywords can be listed for job-creation-attributes-supported. Operation attributes that are not also job attributes are specifically excluded, however in the case of requesting-user-name there *is* a mirror job attribute called job-originating-user-name.

Now, I can't include job-originating-user-name in job-creation-attributes-supported since it isn't an operation or job template attribute. But at the same time I can't (currently) include requesting-user-name because it is only an operation attribute and not something that is exposed as a job attribute.

(FWIW, I am perfectly fine with the "include requesting-user-name" interpretation, I just want it to be the "accepted" interpretation within the PWG...)

On Jan 19, 2011, at 2:39 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> The classic (RFC 2911) approach would be that "requesting-user-name"
> is only an operation and not Job object attribute.  The modern (IPP/2.0 SE)
> approach would be to also list the required/allowed operation attributes.
>
> I prefer the modern approach.
>
> Cheers,
> - Ira

> Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
> Co-Chair - TCG Hardcopy WG
> Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
> http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
> http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
> mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com
> Christmas through April:
>   579 Park Place  Saline, MI  48176
>   734-944-0094
> May to Christmas:
>   PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
>   906-494-2434
>

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 1:25 AM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> In reviewing some implementation details of JPS2, I have a question about the contents of the job-creation-attributes-supported attribute. Specifically I am wondering about the requesting-user-name operation attribute - normally this gets mapped to the job-originating-user-name job description attribute, however based on the definition in section 10.1 it would seem that "requesting-user-name" attribute should not be listed since it is not (strictly speaking) a job attribute.
>
> Thoughts?

> --
> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.