[IPP] JPS2: job-creation-attributes-supported and requesting-user-name attributes

Tom Hastings tom.hastings at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 08:50:20 UTC 2011

I agree that JPS2 definitely has an ambiguity in it about whether the "requesting-user-name" (operation attribute) or its corresponding "job-originating-user-name" (Job Description attribute) should be the keyword returned amongst the values of "job-creation-attribute-supported".  There are two contradictory statements in JPS2:

This extension allows the IPP client to dynamically determine all the job attributes that it can specify at the time of
job creation.

 all operation attributes that are written to the job object as job description attributes (e.g.,
"job-name") at the job level [which suggests that the the "requesting-user-name" operation attribute is a valid keyword which is written to the job object as the "job-originating-user-name" Job Description attribute]]

vs.

The list of attribute names in “job-creation-attributes-supported” MUST NOT include:
• collection member attribute names
Note:  The client can determine which member attributes of “xxx” collection attributes are
supported by querying the “xxx-supported” Printer attribute  (see [RFC3382]).
• operation attributes that are not job attributes [which suggests that "requesting-user-name" operation attribute is not a valid value]

I agree with Michael that the "requesting-user-name" keyword should be the valid value of "job-creation-attributes-supported".  One way to clarify this would be to replace:

(e.g., "job-name")

with:

(e.g., the 'job-name' keyword value which indicates that the "job-name" operation attribute is copied to the "job-name" Job Description attribute and the 'requesting-user-name' keyword value which indicates that the "requesting-user-name" operation attribute is copied to the "job-originating-user-name" Job Description attribute)

Tom