[IPP] "print-color-mode" or "imaging-color-mode"?

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 20:21:34 UTC 2011

All,

First, I agree that "imaging" is an poor term for us to use, although for me
it is because it invokes too board a spectrum (e.g., MRI's and conceptual
imaging) rather than being photographic specific. I liked "Hardcopy", since
that reasonably covers the MFD services, but I understand that some envision
PWG activity to extend to non-hardcopy devices, as it has to an extent with
the projector group. And we have been using "Imaging" for a while in other
PWG activities. However, I suggest that, if someone can come up with a
different, good inclusive term, we consider using it in this envisioned
extension of IPP to other services. One problem I see is that we have not
defined what services we intend IPP to extent to beyond the MFD "Hardcopy"
services, and I think this open-ended applicability is going to create
confusion.

Second, I would be inclined to prefer Andrew's option 2 (if indeed "imaging"
is the best term) except that I wonder if we always understand whether a
term is service specific, at least in its details if not in the board sense.
The idea of preceding everything with "print", or whatever service with
which it was first identified, regardless of the service it is being applied
to is a recipe for confusion, if indeed that is what is being  suggested. In
the MFD approach, command names are preceded by the service to which they
apply. I would have assumed that the same would apply to attributes, which
would allow distinctions to be made between  "print-color-mode",
"scan-color-mode", "copy-color-mode" etc., if such distinctions were
necessary (or later because necessary). Not including any prefix but
understanding the service from context would also work, but might make
defining the differences depending on service more cumbersome and would be
inconsistent with the current "print" prefixed terms.

Thanks,
Bill Wagner