[IPP] (PWG) Raster Question on what is required

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Apr 28 17:09:21 UTC 2011

On Apr 28, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Petrie, Glen wrote:
> In the (PWG) Raster, the specification states support for 16-bits per color.  TIFF seems to the only image file format supporting it and even the TIFF libraries I could find only support up to 8-bits per color.

libtiff (the most widely-used TIFF library) supports 16-bits per color.

> While I believe the (PWG) Raster specification indicates the range of possible values; will or is there is a specification or compliance requirements on what must be supported?  (The same would apply to color spaces.)

I thought I had included this, but couldn't find any requirements in the PWG Raster or IPP Everywhere specs.

My thought was to require sgray-1 and sgray-8 for all printers and srgb-8 for color printers.

> Or is the situation that the printer provides it capabilities, which must be one or more of the of the (PWG) Raster values.  Thus, there are no mandatory values just a possible range of supported values.

I think for interoperability we want a minimum set for interoperability (and to address the use cases/design requirements). But most values of color space and bit depth should be optional.

believed to be clean.