[IPP] Media Color for MSN spec

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 30 21:50:37 UTC 2012

Glen,

On Mar 30, 2012, at 2:27 PM, Petrie, Glen wrote:
> Mike
>
> Thanks for jogging my memory on some of the more vivid colored media.  I still not sure colorant and media with the same color name are the same color.  I looked at these and others; most do not give rgb values and in many cases a color name like “green” is used for several different “green colored” media.

Right.  IMHO our focus for the MSN color names should be on identifying common or primary colors with simple variations (I like light, dark, and clear) along with the reference sRGB values. Ultimately a client should be able to present UI with both the name and the reference color to facilitate media selection or monitoring of printer supplies.

We shouldn't get stuck on having exact matches for color since a) that isn't feasible given the number of different media and colorants we would need to list and b) the viewing conditions and technologies are different enough that the sRGB value displayed on-screen is never going to exactly match the media or colorant anyways.

> As you stated in the last email “magenta colored media” is sold as pink/fluorescent-pink.  So do we have magenta colorant and pink/fluorescent-pink media; even thought they are the “”””same”””” color.   Is there a “well-known” list of colored media names?

There are several :) including the specs we already reference. However, none of them exactly match what is manufactured today and due to the issues I mentioned above I don't think it matters that we have an exhaustive list or "accurate" sRGB reference values for the non-primary colors.

> Perhaps, as time, permits I can contact one or more manufactures to see if can provide rgb values for the various colored and white media.  Short of that, I have a spectrometer that I could actually measure samples to determine a media rgb value for each color media we decide to list.

Aside from maybe Teal in my list below (which doesn't have a close match), I don't think we need to extend our current list. New colors can be added using our standard naming convention with sRGB reference values, and I have no objection to listing common aliases for some colors, e.g., Purple -> Dark Magenta, Fuschia/Fluorescent Pink -> Magenta, Salmon -> Light Pink, etc. like we do for media sizes.

We could also allow <standardcolorname>_RRGGBB[AA] to identify a specific version of a named color - that would allow for localization using the standard names but presentation using the custom color.

Thoughts?

believed to be clean.