[IPP] RFC: job-name and allowed characters, additions to IPP Everywhere

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu May 10 20:30:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the DEL catch James!

Mike - bullet (2) (MUST NOT accept/transfer controls except CR or LF)
runs afoul of the ABNF for "ipp-printer-device-id" in [PWG5107.2] which
also allows HT (per IEEE 1284 parent spec).

And for attributes shared/coordinated w/ IETF or PWG MIBs, note that
DisplayString (RFC 2579) allows NVT-ASCII per TELNET (RFC 853),
which defines several control characters but allows *all* of the C0 control
characters.

Examples of ASCII attributes include:  sysDescr, sysName, sysLocation,
sysContact, and hrDeviceDescr.

Examples of ambiguous (OCTET STRING) charset attributes (often UTF-8)
include: prtGeneralPrinterName, prtGeneralServicePerson, and
prtGeneralCurrentOperator, and prtGeneralSerialNumber.

I have personally seen quite a few MIB walks of printers w/ HT and/or VT
in their sysLocation or sysContact values.

Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG IPP WG
Chair - TCG Embedded Systems Hardcopy SG
Blue Roof Music/High North Inc
mailto:blueroofmusic at gmail.com

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at apple.com> wrote:

> Good catch, yes DEL should also be banned (it is in 5198)
>
> On May 10, 2012, at 10:57 AM, James Howard Young <jyoung at gsu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hello Michael,
> >
> > If you wish to disallow US-ASCII CONTROL chararacters in name
> > values (and this is probably a good thing) then you might
> > also want to consider disallowing decimal 127 (0x7f, octal 177)
> > as well.  This is the dredded ASCII "DEL" character.
> >
> > Here's a couple of quick links to some ASCII tables:
> >
> >  http://www.asciitable.com/
> >  http://www.table-ascii.com/
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Jim Young
> > Long ago print server implementer
> >
> > On 5/10/12 1:24 PM, "Michael Sweet" <msweet at apple.com> wrote:
> >

> >> All,
> >>

> >> I recently got a CUPS bug report (http://www.cups.org/str.php?L4072)
> >> where control characters in the job-name value were causing problems
> with
> >> a particular IPP printer.
> >>

> >> In doing some research on what is allowed for a name value, it seems
> that
> >> RFC 2911 and 3196 don't go beyond referencing the RFCs defining UTF-8
> >> (3629) and US-ASCII (2045), and I don't see anything in those documents
> >> that would prevent the use of control
> >> characters in the range of 0 to 31 (decimal).  Appendix B of RFC 5198
> >> (Unicode Format for Network Interchange) talks a bit about this issue
> but
> >> doesn't make any normative requirements.
> >>

> >> Given the interoperability and security implications of control
> >> characters in name and text values, I would like to document the issues
> >> and possibly add some normative requirements. Here is what I'd like to
> >> add to IPP Everywhere:
> >>

> >> 1. Clients and Printers MUST NOT accept or transfer name values
> >> containing control characters. For US-ASCII that covers the characters
> >> from 0x00 to 0x1F (C0) and for UTF-8/Unicode it covers the characters
> >> from 0x00 to 0x1F (C0) and 0x80 to 0x9F (C1).
> >>

> >> 2. Clients and Printers MUST NOT accept or transfer text values
> >> containing control characters other than CR and LF.
> >>

> >> 3. Implementation guidance for Create-Job/Print-Job/Print-URI: Printers
> >> MAY filter out disallowed characters in job-name but MUST return
> job-name
> >> in the unsupported attributes group. Status code is
> >> client-error-unsupported-attributes-or-values (for
> >> ipp-attribute-fidelity=true
> >> or job-mandatory-attributes=job-name) or
> >> successful-ok-ignored-or-substituted-attributes (otherwise).
> >>

> >> 4. Add discussion of security considerations for logging of control
> >> characters, specific reference to RFC 5198.
> >>

> >> Thoughts?

> >> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair
> >>

> >> --
> >> This message has been scanned for viruses and
> >> dangerous content by MailScanner <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
> >>
> >> believed to be clean.

> --
> [...]

believed to be clean.