[IPP] RFC: job-name and allowed characters, additions to IPP Everywhere

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu May 10 23:38:04 UTC 2012

Ira,

On May 10, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Ira McDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the DEL catch James!
>
> Mike - bullet (2) (MUST NOT accept/transfer controls except CR or LF)
> runs afoul of the ABNF for "ipp-printer-device-id" in [PWG5107.2] which
> also allows HT (per IEEE 1284 parent spec).

I have no problem adding HT as an allowed character.  I am less inclined to allow VT mainly because I see it rarely and there is no "standard" vertical tab spacing as there is for HT (8 columns for most terminal emulators and web browsers).  But even HT is problematic for display (less so for parsing and logging).

> And for attributes shared/coordinated w/ IETF or PWG MIBs, note that
> DisplayString (RFC 2579) allows NVT-ASCII per TELNET (RFC 853),
> which defines several control characters but allows *all* of the C0 control
> characters.
>
> Examples of ASCII attributes include:  sysDescr, sysName, sysLocation,
> sysContact, and hrDeviceDescr.

We can define how such values are mapped; realistically I think that we can simply state that any mapping of SNMP properties to IPP attributes MUST include filtering of control characters not allowed by the corresponding attribute type.

(and for things that *are* a direct mapping like prtAlert, prtMarkerSupply, etc. we use octetString which will remain unaffected...)

believed to be clean.