[IPP] media-type names and cotton?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 20 23:48:11 UTC 2012

Pete,

On Jun 19, 2012, at 5:39 AM, "Zehler, Peter" <Peter.Zehler at xerox.com> wrote:
> Xerox’s request from the Face to Face was to add a registered media-type name for cotton and I’d supply the details at a later time.  Below are the semantic definitions for archival, bond and  cotton media-type values we are proposing.  The media weight (i.e. gsm range) can be ignored since the PWG does not include it in “media-type” definitions.   I included it because it was available to me from production printing.

FWIW, we already have "stationery-bond" as a media type, and in general I would prefer to avoid mixing top-level and suffix names. More comments inline below...

> New media-type values to register:
> ‘archival’ - A tough, acid-free paper made with an alkaline buffer.   Extraneous materials (such as sugars, starches and gums) in the pulp that can cause discoloring and deterioration, are carefully removed. Physical strength for the paper is ensured by using a long, high quality fibers such as cotton or flax that enables it to be usable for long periods. (gsm range 106-169)

Given that the existing photographic media type are often/typically archival-quality, would it make more sense to treat "archival" as a common suffix for existing top-level types, e.g.:

    cardstock-archival
    labels-archival
    stationery-archival

???

> ‘bond’ - A better quality grade of paper that is stronger and more durable than ‘stationary’ (gsm range 81-130)

As I mentioned above, we already have stationery-bond.

> ‘cotton’ - A rag pulp based paper which is made up of cotton fibers (gsm range 75-90)

Do we need a top-level for this too?  "stationery-cotton" (and, if you think it is necessary, "cardstock-cotton") would seem to capture the existing usage for this type of media.

believed to be clean.