[IPP] Minutes posted from today's IPP conference call

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Mar 26 16:05:39 UTC 2013

Randy,

On 2013-03-25, at 11:51 PM, Randy Turner <rturner at amalfisystems.com> wrote:

> After taking a quick look at the *initial* IPP Paid Printing Extensions proposal, I think a dedicated URI name space for anything *paid* related is a good idea, and I would probably link this namespace to the work we need to do on XACML authorization.

For the purposes of this specification I am just interested in conveying the authorization as a URI so that implementations can choose the namespace that makes the most sense for them.  If we can separately define a namespace that is "ideal" for transaction-based imaging, all the better.

> Seems like *payment* might just be another coefficient in an equation that calculates the overall *authorization disposition* for a user trying to use a resource
> -- I meant to join the call today (Mon, 3/25), but had a last minute commitment I had to deal with.  I will try and send additional thoughts/comments soon.

Thanks!

FWIW, the spec is titled "paid printing" but it really just defines a generic transaction-based printing mechanism.  The "payment" portion is abstracted out - all we care about is enabling printing transactions so that a payment system can actually be implemented: have the necessary metrics, be able to associate a job with a transaction (job-authorization-uri), and have the status/reporting infrastructure in place so that a Client can react accordingly to issues associated with the transaction.  Certainly a paid Printer's access policy will be driven by the authorization URI, whether defined using XACML or some other method...

> R.
>
> On Mar 25, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I have posted the minutes to today's IPP conference call to:
>>
>> 	ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/minutes/ippv2-concall-minutes-20130325.pdf
>>
>> Our next conference call is April 8, 2013 at 3pm ET.

>> Michael Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer, PWG Chair
>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> --
> believed to be clean.