[IPP] Don't redefine Hardcopy Document

Zehler, Peter Peter.Zehler at xerox.com
Tue Aug 6 13:26:16 UTC 2013

All,

A Hardcopy document is not an electronic format.  The industry, and the PWG, have existing definitions that are in agreement (See below).  A hardcopy document is physical media.  In the PWG Semantic Model Documents are objects with references to document content that is an electronic document representation (e.g.  PDF, JPEG, PCL, vendor specific).  These representations have a type using MIME media types (See rfc2911 section 3.2.1.1).

In IPP document content was either pass by value (i.e. via Print-Job or Send-Document) or by reference (i.e., Print-URI or Send-URI).  For a FAX service we needed to represent the historical FAX paradigm of FAXing a hardcopy document.  It is similar to a Send-URI but constrained to a reference to document content being obtained via the MFD's scanner subunit.  Note that a mobile device that acquires an image from a hardcopy document would not issue an Add-Hardcopy-Document to the MFD.  The mobile device would use the Send-Document or Send-URI based on how the document content would be transferred to the target MFD.

I have no objection to normalizing the parameters for Adding a Hardcopy Document to a job.  The ScanDocumentProcessing/CopyDocumentProcessing.CopyInput could easily be applied to AddHardcopyDocument and would apply to a number of services.

Pete

Existing definitions of Hardcopy Document:
>From Federal Standard 1037C (Telecommunications: Glossary of Telecommunication Terms): "hard copy: In computer graphics and in telecommunications, a permanent reproduction, on any media suitable for direct use by a person, of displayed or transmitted data. (188) Note 1: Examples of hard copy include teletypewriter pages, continuous printed tapes, facsimile pages, computer printouts, and radiophoto prints. Note 2: Magnetic tapes, diskettes, and nonprinted punched paper tapes are not hard copy."

>From Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions Telecom Glossary: "In computer graphics and in telecommunications, a permanent reproduction, on any media suitable for direct use by a person, of displayed or transmitted data. Note 1: Examples of hard copy include teletypewriter pages, continuous printed tapes, facsimile pages, computer printouts, and radiophoto prints. Note 2: Magnetic tapes, diskettes, and nonprinted punched paper tapes are not hard copy."

>From Printer Working Group (PWG 5108.01): "Hardcopy Document: A Document on physical media such as paper, transparency or film that is the input source to Scan, Copy and FaxOut Services and the output from Print, Copy and FaxIn Services"

Peter Zehler

Xerox Research Center Webster
Email: Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com<mailto:Peter.Zehler at Xerox.com>
Voice: (585) 265-8755
FAX: (585) 265-7441
US Mail: Peter Zehler
Xerox Corp.