[IPP] 5100.11 : "job-password" and "job-save-disposition"

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Jun 23 22:15:08 UTC 2017

Hi there,

Consider a scenario where a Printer receives a Create-Job operation with the following attributes:

job-password="12345678"
job-password-encryption='none'
job-save-disposition=
{
	save-disposition='save-only'
	save-info=
	{
		save-location="whatever"
		save-document-format=application/pdf
	}
}

What would one expect the printer to do:

1. Hold the Job in 'pending-held' state until the matching password was provided, then retain the Job as a Saved Job
2. Process the Job to retain the Job as a Saved Job per the definition in 5100.11 section 2.2, but then whenever it might be reprinted via user selection on the control panel, the user is prompted for the password

If the expectation is #1 then there seems to be no way currently in standard IPP to create a password protected Saved Job, which I believe to be a valid use case that IPP needs to support. This could be supported using my (pending) IPP Document Encryption whitepaper, but wondered if it was already supported.

Thoughts?

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/