[IPP] 5100.11 : "job-password" and "job-save-disposition"

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Sun Jun 25 00:17:08 UTC 2017

Hi Ira,

My main concerns are that the "job-password" provided will prevent the Job from being stored when it is received, and that once the password is entered at the Printer, that password won't persist. That doesn't seem to match my expectations as to what the user would want. In the use case I'm thinking about, the Job is sent to be stored and is provided with a password, with the user expecting that it will be stored right away, and that each re-print of that saved job will require that job's password to be entered.

It seems we could solve this using a combination of "document-password" if the "save-document-format"='application/pdf', or possibly using my pending "IPP Document Encryption" system. I would have thought that this combination would have been considered already since  both "job-password" and "job-save-disposition" are defined in the same PWG candidate standard. Language such as :

If a job creation operation is received that includes both "job-password" and "job-save-disposition" where its "save-disposition" member is 'save-only', in this case the Job will NOT be placed in 'pending-held' state but will proceed to "processing" for becoming a "saved job", and the "job-password" will be expected upon each reprint.

From HP's perspective, the reprinting of saved jobs is not performed via IPP Client operations such as the deprecated Restart-Job or Reprocess-Job operation, but by user interactions at the Printer itself, for instance using a physical printer's control panel or web interface, or a print server's management interface.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless Architect - Client Software - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/