[IPP] Questions on Specification History

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 22:03:03 UTC 2019

Hi Bill,

Good questions.

Since 5100.4 is Obsolete (and not merely Deprecated) it is no longer listed
in the Published Standards section.  5100.6 blurb (and Abstract) should
clearly state that it supersedes 5100.4 and that 5100.4 is no longer
supported.

5100.10 is indeed superseded by 5100.12.  Again the 5100.12 blurb (and
Abstract) should clearly state that it supersedes 5100.10.  IMO,5100.10 is
Obsolete and should be withdrawn from the Published Standards section.

Note - It's also true that 5100.12 (our only full PWG Standard) will
definitely
need to be revised (and moved back down to Candidate Standard) to reflect
corrections and attribute transitions among IPP PPX, IPP EPX, and IPP Job
Extensions (among others) - that looks like a 2020 calendar year activity
to me.  I suggest that we should NOT fold additional later IPP standards
into that 5100.12 update (because that would break compatibility).

All - WDYT?

Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434