[IPP] RFC: IDS Attributes additions to IPP System Service v1.0

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu Aug 1 21:08:22 UTC 2019

All,

At today's IPP workgroup conference call we discussed adding the printer-firmware-xxx attributes that are being registered separately to the IPP System Service specification, as well as additional top-level System Status attributes that expose both the firmware and other attributes from PWG 5110.1-2013: PWG Hardcopy Device Health Assessment Attributes.  Ira and I have an action item to review that specification and make recommendations about which attributes should be added, so here is my list:

    5110.1 Attribute                             IPP System Status Attribute
    -------------------------------------------  ---------------------------
    FirmwareName (String*)                       system-firmware-name (1setOf name(MAX))
    FirmwarePatches (String*)                    system-firmware-patches (1setOf text(MAX))
    FirmwareStringVersion (String*)              system-firmware-string-version (1setOf text(MAX))
    FirmwareVersion (OctetArray*)                system-firmware-version (1setOf octetString(64))
    ResidentApplicationName (String*)            system-resident-application-name (1setOf name(MAX))
    ResidentApplicationPatches (String*)         system-resident-application-patches (1setOf text(MAX))
    ResidentApplicationStringVersion (String*)   system-resident-application-string-version (1setOf text(MAX))
    ResidentApplicationVersion (OctetArray*)     system-resident-application-version (1setOf octetString(MAX))
    TimeSource (String)                          system-time-source-configured (type2 keyword | name(MAX))
    UserApplicationName (String*)                system-user-application-name (1setOf name(MAX))
    UserApplicationPatches (String*)             system-user-application-patches (1setOf text(MAX))
    UserApplicationStringVersion (String*)       system-user-application-string-version (1setOf text(MAX))
    UserApplicationVersion (OctetArray*)         system-user-application-version (1setOf octetString(64))

    * = multiple values allowed

Some additional notes:

- I've limited the xxx-version attributes to 64 octets since that is what the System service limits things (because that's what the TNC binding limits things to...)
- Currently the xxx-patches string is not exposed as a Resource Status attribute, but we could easily add that and the corresponding operation attribute as the source of that information.
- Currently we do not differentiate between User applications/software and Resident applications/software in the system service spec.  Presumably the resident applications are baked into the firmware and won't show up as separate resources, while user applications are separate, "uploadable" executable-software resources?
- I have omitted all of the network configuration/state attributes since I figure those would be limited by the network security infrastructure and can be separately queried at that level.  My focus is on things an administrator might need to manage the HCD's operating configuration and maintenance.