[IPP] NODRIVER: Seeking consensus on a solution for use cases 3.2.20 and 3.2.21

Paul Tykodi ptykodi at tykodi.com
Fri Mar 27 15:24:36 UTC 2020

Hi Smith,

In the 3D Concrete Printing space, the print quality term is discussed in terms of creating a suitable object (i.e. has good quality) and the amount of time the concrete mix can be pumped (typically referred to as “open time”).

The following quote comes from “3D printing using concrete extrusion: A roadmap for research” https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0008884617311924

“In parallel, the printability of the material is evaluated by printing a series of single filament stacks. Fig. 6a depicts this process for a test to evaluate flow stress on a cement paste containing a limestone powder. The print quality changes with time where t = 0 is when cement and water first come into contact. At 6 min after mixing, the yield stress of the mixture is too low to support the mass of the material deposited above. It develops until at 60 min, the material has reached a state where it is able to support multiple deposited layers. Continuing the test on this mix finds that the desirable behaviour is maintained through 80 min until at 99 min, the plastic viscosity has reached a point where pumping is difficult. This test can be used to determine the open time for a particular mix, which here was 37 min.”

If we are going to enhance the definition of print quality for 2D applications, we probably should determine how to define it more appropriately within our IPP 3D standard as well.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

/Paul

--

Paul Tykodi
Principal Consultant

Tel/Fax: 603-343-1820
Mobile:  603-866-0712
E-mail:  ptykodi at tykodi.com <mailto:ptykodi at tykodi.com>
WWW:   <http://www.tykodi.com/> http://www.tykodi.com

This e-mail reply and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Tykodi Consulting Services LLC

immediately by replying to this message and destroying all copies of this message

and any attachments. Thank you