[IPP] RFC: Add "printer-serial-number (text(255))" to NODRIVER

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Tue Dec 1 15:30:06 UTC 2020

Smith,

> On Dec 1, 2020, at 8:59 AM, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) <smith.kennedy at hp.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> No objections to adding this but a few thoughts:
>
> - PII concerns?

Not directly - this identifies the printer, not an individual.  If the value was propagated outside of IPP with other personal information it might be used to identify someone ("Mike" printed to a printer with serial number 12345678, it must be Mike Sweet and not Mike Jones). But this is purely informational from the Printer to the Client, for maintenance/support purposes.

> - Overlap with the key/value pairs provided by "printer-device-id" - the "SN" key isn't standardized but is out there...

Last time I checked (but I no longer have a copy...) IEEE-1284 defines SERIALNUMBER (official abbreviation SN, also SER and SERN in the wild) to hold this.  But "printer-device-id" isn't something we want in the long term (only needed for drivers) and implementation of the serial number in the device ID is spotty at best...

Michael Sweet