[IPP] Questions about the 'finisher-max-capacity' and 'finisher-capacity' keys for the "printer-finisher" attribute (Finishings 2.1)

Steven Young syoung at ciis.canon.com
Thu Jan 7 19:40:23 UTC 2021

Smith,

Happy New Year!

I sent the draft to CINC for their review.  The following is their understanding and would like your confirmation:

In Figure 2 - PAPI Example of "printer-finisher"
printer-finisher[1] = "index=8;
                      type=stitcher;
                      unit=sheets;
                      maxcapacity=500;
                      capacity=100;"

Our understanding is as follows:
type(IPP) = finDeviceType(RFC3806)
unit(IPP) = finDeviceCapacityUnit(RFC3806)
maxcapacity(IPP) = finDeviceMaxCapacity(RFC3806)
capacity(IPP) = finDeviceCurrentCapacity(RFC3806)

So, finDeviceMaxCapacity is the maximum capacity of finDeviceType finishing can handle with the unit of finDeviceCapacityUnit. Right?

In the case of type=stacker and unit=sheets,  finDeviceMaxCapacity indicates the maximum number of sheets that can be loaded,  and finDeviceCurrentCapacity indicates the remaining number of sheets.

If our understanding is correct, the example in Figure 2 type=stitcher allows stapling 500 sheets of paper at a time.
(Similarly, in Figure 2, when type=puncher, 100 holes can be made at a time.)

We would like to know our understanding of finDeviceMaxCapacity and finDeviceCurrentCapacity is correct.

Can you please confirm that.

I don't know the answers. The definitions for finDeviceMaxCapacity and finDeviceCurrentCapacity in RFC 3806 aren't clear at all on what a maximum capacity or current capacity means in the context of a finisher. It also seems a bit too wide open to let the printer choose the unit type.Some might

Your example also raises an interesting question about stackers. The Finishing MIB defines 'stacker' as a finisher type. But IPP "finishings-col" doesn't have a representation for stackers - it considers a stacker to be an "output-tray".

Mike, what do you think we ought to do about the FinDeviceTypeTC types in the Finishing MIB that don't have IPP equivalents in finishings-col?

FinDeviceTypeTC ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
    STATUS       current
    DESCRIPTION
      "The defined finishing device subunit process
       enumerations."
    SYNTAX       INTEGER {
         other(1),
         unknown(2),