[IPP] Questions about the 'finisher-max-capacity' and 'finisher-capacity' keys for the "printer-finisher" attribute (Finishings 2.1)

Ira McDonald blueroofmusic at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:33:58 UTC 2021

Hi Steven and Smith,

I sure hope Mike chimes in here...

So a couple of observations:

(1) In the example, with "sheets" as the unit, the finishing device
"stitcher" with
a max capacity of "500" can stitch up to 500 sheets together (at once).  The
remaining capacity in this example is meaningless (because this is not an
output
tray, but an intermediate finishing device).

(2) We (the PWG) can't constrain the printer manufacturers at all in their
choice
of capacity unit for a given finishing device - that boat sailed 20 years
ago.

(3) In the case of a finishing device "stitcher", the corresponding
finishing supply
would have to use a meaningful unit, e.g., "tenThousandthsOfInches(3)" for
the
length of the wire spool in the "stitcher".  Note that "sheets" would be a
weird and
ambiguous *supply* unit for a "stitcher".

The re-use of "PrtMarkerSuppliesSupplyUnitTC" for "finSupplyEntry" was sadly
brain-dead.  Because it's a *non-extensible" enumeration in Printer MIB v2
(RFC
3805), not moved to IANA Printer MIB (as it should have been).  By
contrast, the
"FinDeviceTypeTC" is *extensible* and is defined in IANA Finisher MIB.

Mike - over to you.

PS - Actually revising either RFC 3805 (Printer MIB) or RFC 3806 (Finisher
MIB)
in the modern IETF standards context is beyond impossible - it would be a
five-year,
political project for Mike and Ira - not going to happen.

*Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)*

*Chair - SAE Trust Anchors and Authentication TF*
*Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG*

*Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG*

*Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WGSecretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer
Working GroupCo-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WGIETF
Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIBBlue Roof Music / High North
Inchttp://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
<http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic>http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
<http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc>mailto: blueroofmusic at gmail.com
<blueroofmusic at gmail.com>(permanent) PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839