[IPP] Adding additional IPP Everywhere v1.0 certified products after the v1.0 / v1.1 transition date

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Mon Feb 8 23:40:39 UTC 2021

Hi Mike,

> On Feb 8, 2021, at 2:22 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at msweet.org> wrote:
>
> Smith,
>
> If the products are part of the same series and are being released within a few (4?) months of each other then I have no objection to adding new models based on the original 1.0 self-certification - I know we'd talked about supporting this sort of follow-on amendment for the list of models, not sure if that discussion made it into the self-cert manual...

It doesn't appear to have made it. I'll file an errata to have something added, and then we can submit follow-on comments there with guidance once we develop a plan for how we want to handle it.

> I wouldn't want this to be abused (i.e. products are released a year apart and ship with wildly different firmware), but we do need to be flexible - just getting approvals in different countries can affect the availability of new products, not to mention all of the usual product roll-out stuff, holidays, pandemics (!), etc.

Agreed. I can't speak for other vendors but there are some cases where we release new printers 18 months after initial release that have new model names and improved print engines / mechanisms, but nearly identical firmware. (You are probably familiar with this kind of thing.) It gets a bit fuzzy, but one way or another we probably need to add some statement to 5100.20 (or 5100.14?) to clarify this.