[IPP] RFC: Updated printer-state-reasons wording for EPX

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu Mar 2 17:09:01 UTC 2023

All,

I've gone through several existing approved/published specifications to see what conformance wording we've used for "job-state-reasons" and "printer-state-reasons".  In short, we sometimes make a conformance requirement to guarantee the semantics of a state, e.g., "job-hold-until-specified", or to guarantee the integrity of a mapping, e.g., PrtAlertCodeTC mappings in PSX 1.0.

Because the Host Resources MIB (RFC 1514) has no equivalent of PrtAlertCodeTC and we cannot require a Printer to provide sensors, etc. necessary to implement these keywords, I suggest using the following declarative language:

8.3 printer-state-reasons (1setOf type2 keyword)

This specification defines the new keyword values for the "printer-state-reasons" Printer Status attribute [STD92] listed in Table 20. Printers that support the "printer-storage" Printer Status attribute (section 6.1.4) report the keywords corresponding to any storage sub-unit status or condition.

Thoughts?