[IPP] "ipp-attribute-fidelity" and media selection

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Thu Aug 24 16:53:16 UTC 2023

Hi there,

(I should know the answer to this already but it seems I do not.)

If a Printer receives a Job Creation operation that includes "ipp-attribute-fidelity" = 'true' and also specifies "media" = 'na_letter_8.5x11in', but the Printer does not have that specific media size loaded, how is the Printer to respond?

Appendix C of RFC 8011 says "The Client is requesting that the Job be printed exactly as specified, and if that is not possible, then the Job MUST be rejected rather than processed incorrectly."

However, if the specified media size isn't loaded / available at Job Creation time, can the Printer accept the Job if it "promises" to honor the "ipp-attribute-fidelity" = 'true' Job Template attribute by keeping the new Job in the 'pending-held' state until the requested media size is loaded, or otherwise abort the Job? Is this also acceptable for the "ipp-attribute-fidelity" = 'true' case? This is not "rejecting the Job" strictly speaking. An aborted Job would show up in job accounting while a rejected Job Creation operation presumably would not.

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    HP Inc.